In Reading the Race, michigander Jamie Smith and veteran road captain Chris Horner team up to deliver a master class in bike racing strategies and tactics. Armed with strategies and tactics learned over thousands of bike races, cyclists and cycling fans will learn how to read a race—and see how to win it.
Bike racing is called a rolling chess game for a reason. Sure, a high pain threshold and a killer VO2max are helpful. But if you’re in it to win it, you need race smarts. Starting breaks, forming alliances, managing a lapped field, setting up a sprint—on every page, Horner and Smith reveal new secrets to faster racing and better results.
Smith and Horner dissect common mistakes, guiding riders with lessons learned from decades of racing experience. Reading the Race reveals the veteran’s eye view on:
- Assembling the best possible team
- Crafting strategies around the team, course, and rivals
- Reacting instantly to common scenarios
- Making deals and combines
- Breaks, echelons, blocking
- Pack protocol and etiquette
- Finishing in the prize money or on the podium
- Winning the group ride
Whether you’re a new racer, an aspiring pro, a coach, or even a roadside fan, Reading the Race will elevate your cycling IQ!
Available now from VeloPress