Guidelines for Which Categories to Offer:
- State Championship Events: Offer 3 categories (Cat 1 /2/3 race, Cat 3/4 race, Cat 5 race).
- Established Race: If the race has a history of more than 20 women attending (for Cat 1-3), offer 3 categories (Cat 1 /2/3 race, Cat 3/4 race, Cat 5 race). If history shows less than 20, offer 2 races (Cat 1 /2/3/4 race, Cat 5 race).
- New Races: Offer 2 races (Cat 1 /2/3/4 race, Cat 5 race).
- Cat 5 Rule: For ALL races, Category 5 racers should always have their own race regardless of attendance.
*When raced together as a 1/2/3 field, the field should be scored as a whole for prize money purposes. However, for the purpose of submitting the races to MBRA category 1/2 racers and category 3 racers should be submitted separately.
Other Requests / Suggestions:
- When racing the category 1/2/3 fields together, please offer a different race number series to the Category 1/2 racers from the Category 3 racers, so the racers can easily distinguish who they are competing against in their category. For example, the Category 1/2 racers would be a 100 series, and the Category 3 racers would be a 200 series.
- Large cash primes/purses for women’s racingare greatly appreciated and effective for motivating women to race and increase attendance, including drawing in out of state teams. We always recommend equal payout to men and women! Thank you!
- Have the hosting team for the race offer a course “pre-ride”/clinic before your eventto help promote your race and also to help make the course seem less threatening to new racers. These have been very effective in the past to encourage cyclists to give racing a try.
Thank you again for your interest and support of women’s racing!